New Burger: Freddy’s Frozen Custard

freddylogoBased on a recommendation from my father, I stopped by the new-to-our-area Freddy’s Frozen Custard to try their burger. I had the Single Steakburger without cheese (still watching my calories). Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much. To my surprise, however, it was quite tasty.

I wasn’t in the mood for ice cream at the time, so I didn’t try their Concrete. Plus, the 651 calories advertised on their web site for their Mini Heath Concrete scared me away. Not much “Mini” about that! I will need to try it at some point so that I can add it to my mix-in-ice-cream spectrum, formerly topped by Dairy Queen’s Blizzard until surpassed by Wally’s Wallybanger (local place). Not sure when that will be, as there aren’t many days when I have as many available calories as I did that day, having done 20 miles cycling beforehand. Oh, well.

Anyway, back to the burger. The key to its taste was that the meat patty itself was very good. The rest of the ingredients were fresh and good as well, but it’s the meat that sold the burger. This is in stark contrast to my experience at Mooyah. I wouldn’t put Freddy’s on the same level as Five Guys, but then, Five Guys doesn’t have ice cream….

Freddy's Frozen Custard on Urbanspoon

, , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Stacy on May 28, 2009 - 6:53 am

Long time reader, first time commenter.

Just a note, the family that owns Wallyburger also owns several Dairy Queens.

• #2 by Ren on June 1, 2009 - 9:00 am

Stacy – I’m a bit surprised that their franchise agreement allows for that.

2. #3 by martymankins on May 28, 2009 - 4:09 pm

Ice cream shops that also server burgers are nice finds. We have Iceberg here in Utah that has these monster shakes. It takes me at least 2 days to eat one.

As for Five Guys, I really should give them another chance. I tried them once when they opened here in Utah, but I wasn’t impressed. A lot of money for something I felt wasn’t all that. Call me spoiled by In-N-Out (we get one close to our house later this year).

• #4 by Ren on June 1, 2009 - 9:02 am

martymankins – I’ve still never had In-N-Out and with all the raving about it, I’m almost afraid to try it until and unless they open one locally. Otherwise, I’ll just be disappointed the rest of the time, right?

3. #5 by whall on May 28, 2009 - 11:46 pm