Best Burger

My brother invited me to lunch today. I also needed to get some photography equipment for an appointment tomorrow. Since my brother works south and I work north, and the best photography store is (vaguely) central, we decided to meet at the store.

I got what I needed and we looked at a few other things while we were there and then we headed out to get some lunch — but with no specific destination in mind. There was a burger place that my brother suggested, but it was no longer there. We drove around for a while, near campus, until I saw a place that looked interesting.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries immediately reminded us of local chain, Mighty Fine — enough so that we thought that Mighty Fine probably copied the concept from Five Guys.

I’ve had mixed feelings about Mighty Fine. I like the place well enough, and the fries are good, and they have shakes, but I’ve never been all that impressed with their burgers. My burger at Five Guys, on the other hand, was by far the best burger I’ve had in recent memory. And the fries they have are the exact kind I’ve been craving for a few days, plus they were available with Cajun seasoning (which we got).

It’s been about five-and-a-half hours since I had the burger and I could really go for another one. Too bad it’s over 30 minutes from my house. Just thinking about it is really upping my craving — it was that good.

Five Guys Burgers & Fries on Urbanspoon

, , , , ,

1. #1 by Ben on February 7, 2009 - 5:32 pm

Not a big fan of Mighty Fine’s burgers either. Will have to check this place out. My favorite burger in town (so far) is a medium rare burger I had at Hyde Park Grill (but I only had it once).

• #2 by Ren on February 9, 2009 - 9:46 pm

@Ben, at Five Guys’ there is no choice of cooking temperature — they only have cook “juicy and well-done” burgers. I was a bit skeptical of this at first, but it turned out to not be a problem, obviously.

I should point out that this is not a “gourmet” burger and I consider such burgers as a different category. Thus, my praises of this burger are really not applicable to comparisons with gourmet burgers. Some people probably prefer a gourmet burger, including me at times (though in this case, I believe I enjoyed the Five Guys’ burger more than even gourmet burgers of late).

If you want to take a trip down to 32nd and Guadalupe for lunch some time, I’d certainly be up for it. :-)

• #3 by Ben on February 10, 2009 - 9:08 am

@Ren, I’m game!

Ben

2. #4 by Megan on February 9, 2009 - 7:23 am

Mmm, do you know how amazing a GOOD burger sounds?! I just moved to India- the land of “holy cow! no beef!” There may be a place to get a hamburger since it’s not mostly Hindu here, but there isn’t much as far as Western food either, so probably, I’ll have to wait till I get to Thailand again for a good one.

Thanks for the comment, and yes, I’m getting a LOT of new experiences, which is mostly fun. I’ll be glad to be in a room full of Maddoxes again sometime though!

• #5 by Ren on February 9, 2009 - 9:53 pm

@Megan, thanks for stopping by — we miss you (and your sister and her growing family)!

It’s funny to think of looking forward to Thailand for Western food….

3. #6 by martymankins on February 10, 2009 - 6:36 pm

I’m a long time fan of In-N-Out Burger, but we got a Five Guys Burgers and Fries here in Salt Lake last year. I decided to try it, as there were a few people that talked about how it reminded them of In-N-Out.

After having the regular sized cheeseburger, it was good, but it was over $5 just for the burger (i didn’t get fries or a drink).

I may actually go back to try some fries (which are a rare treat for me over the last 8 years) and another style of burger. It had a good taste to it, but I’ve been 40 years spoiled on In-N-Out Burger (we one in Utah, about 4 hours south from where I live)

• #7 by Ren on February 10, 2009 - 6:48 pm

@martymankins, amazingly, I’ve never been to In-N-Out Burger, so I cannot make any comparison. I think the $5 burger is probably the regular burger, but that has two patties. They also have a little burger with one patty. But cheese and bacon are extra.

4. #8 by Faiqa on February 11, 2009 - 6:12 pm

Mmmm. Five Guys is my FAVORITE.

• #9 by Ren on February 16, 2009 - 4:08 pm

@Faiqa – Welcome! I’m thinking tomorrow might be a Five Guys day. :-)

5. #10 by anna on February 13, 2009 - 5:16 pm

I used to go to Five Guys back in northern Virginia 15 years ago-it was always my favorite. I can’t tell you how excited I was to discover one here! And it is just as good as I remember.

• #11 by Ren on February 16, 2009 - 4:37 pm

@anna – Thanks for the comment. Looking forward to my next visit to Five Guys!

Comments are closed.